Ref: 1100-SB Marine Manager
Employing Company: CalMac Ferries Limited
Position: Marine Manager
Contract: Permanent or Internal Secondment up to 12 months
Location: Gourock (with extensive travel around the network)
Rate of Pay: £65,000 or if secondment consideration will be given to matching previous year's earnings (Executive Manager Contract)
Contracted Hours: 37.5 Hours
Date Advertised: 05 February 2018
Closing Date: 26 February 2018
Applications are invited for the position of Marine Manager based at Gourock.
• Liaise with Head of Service Delivery and Area Operations Manager about the operation and positioning of the vessels throughout the network to ensure delivery of a safe and cost effective service.
• Undertake annual inspections of each vessel for which responsible and submit comprehensive management reports including recommendations for resolution of problems arising.
• Responsible for Shipboard Disciplinary matters and issues arising under the Drug and Alcohol Policy in consultation with the Crew Resources Manager, Technical Manager, Retail Operations Manager and Human Resources Department.
• Carry performance appraisals of the senior marine officers onboard the vessels and provide advice and guidance on fleet training requirements in conjunction with the Crew Resource Manager and Human Resource Department.
• Identify and interview suitable qualified and competent Masters and Deck Officers for employment/promotion to appropriate vessels in conjunction with the Crew Resources Manager and Human Resources Department.
• Ensure all necessary documentation and equipment required for vessel operations is maintained and complies with relevant legislation.
• Provide advice and guidance to Masters and Charge-hands on marine, legal and professional matters.
• Advise Technical Manager about deck aspects of overhauls and supervision of MES tests with MCA.
• Assist with the specification and supervision of the navigational and marine operational aspects of existing and new tonnage where required.
• Ensure all marine aspects of charters are investigated and documented in consultation with the relevant Operations Director / Regional Manager, Technical Managers or Company Insurance Officer.
• Check infrastructure requirements for existing and proposed ferry services and make necessary arrangements for their introduction in conjunction with the Operations Director.
• Keep relevant management informed about new and impending marine legislation and the likely effect any changes may have on the Company and its service operations.
• Liaise with Safety, Environmental and Security Department on Safety matters.
• Manage competence of all direct reports.
• Support Technical Department.
• Support future planning and assist with impact assessments and projects where required.
• Support Harbours & Operations Department.
• Undertake investigations when required.
• Assist and undertake disciplinary hearings when required.
• Act as interface for all stakeholders, in particular MCA and CMAL.
• Manager all absence/sickness cases.
Education and Experience
• Master Mariner with a STCW Class II/2 Master (no limitations) qualification.
• Experienced professional with a track record in exercising sound judgment in the fields of business and vessel operations.
Applicants can be considered on a secondment basis. The following would apply:
• Secondment would be for minimum of 9 months.
• Consideration will be given to matching previous year's earnings.
The successful candidate must be able to commute to Gourock on a daily basis.