Ref: 1298-SB Technical Superintendent
Employing Company: CalMac Ferries Limited
Position: Technical: Technical Superintendent
Department: Asset Management
Contract Type: Permanent
Rate of Pay: Senior Management Grade
Date Advertised: 06 December 2018
Closing Date: 11 January 2019
Applications are invited for the positions of Project Technical Superintendent.
Responsible to the Head of Asset Management, the Technical Superintendent is expected to provide comprehensive technical management in support of Small Vessel annual overhauls and support to projects.
The Technical Superintendent is expected to be an integral part of the Asset Management Team and associated support staff while fostering an effective working relationship with others within and outside the Company. He or she will be responsible for the planning and overseeing of Annual Overhauls and Vessel Upgrades and Projects associated with the Company's Small Vessel Fleet including the maintaining of budgets and procedures as outlined in the Company Management System.
• In conjunction with the Asset Management Team assist the planning, supervision and coordination function for the small vessel fleet overhauls
• Planning, supervision and coordination for small vessel fleet emergency dockings when required
• To plan & coordinate maintenance for small vessel fleet annual overhauls in conjunction with planning and coordination of spares, service providers, third parties
• Assist the project team with modifications, upgrades & projects
• To support Continual Improvement Process within planning function of Asset Management
• Ensuring that the annual overhaul specification is prepared, agreed, costed and that quotations are submitted in the required time lines for approval by the Head of Asset Management Carrying out technical inspections annually, of each vessel for which they are responsible.
• Establishing, budget, cost control and supervision of suppliers and contractors to ensure all work is carried out with the objective of achieving a fully reliable and operational vessel to the agreed specification
• Ensuring that correct process and governance are adhered to with budget control and management
• Ensuring that correct process and governance are adhered to with public procurement rules to ensure timely purchase and installation of required equipment
• Maintain strong relationships with all business departments but specifically working closely within their own department, CMAL, service delivery, finance, procurement and HSQE
• Act as liaison between the company, contractors, classification society, and flag state on related overhaul works
• Utilise communication and influencing skills to develop strong relationships with all stakeholders
• Any other duties required by the head of asset management
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• Preference would be an Unlimited Class 2 marine engineers certificate or equivalent or qualification. Candidates with lower qualifications who can demonstrate knowledge and experience with small ro-ro vessels would be considered
• Be able to demonstrate a high level of competence in all aspects of smaller Ro-Ro vessel overhauls/dockings and projects
• Be able to demonstrate experience of specification writing and budget planning
• Be able to demonstrate an ability to foster close working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Be able to organise personal workloads in response to priorities
• Be able to demonstrate good PC system, administrative and communication skills
Personal Attributes and Traits
• Good initiative skills; ability to get started and work independently when necessary, and to come up with ideas and carry them out
• Be flexible and open to change, with a focus on continual improvement
• Adaptable, coping with change and unstructured environments at ease
• Have integrity and be passionate about what they do
• Have a strong work & environmental ethic and eagerness to develop solutions to problems
• Be precise and thorough
The successful candidate must be able to commute to Gourock on a daily basis.