Ref: 1431-SB Assistant Technical Superintendent
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CalMac Ferries Limited
JOB TITLE: Assistant Technical Superintendent
REPORTS TO: Senior Technical Superintendent
VACANCY REF: 1431-SB
GRADE: £38,623 - £54,720 (Manager Grade 1)
SHIFT PATTERN: 37.5 hours per week
DATE ADVERTISED: 12 August 2019
CLOSING DATE: 26 August 2019
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our Abous Us section.
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
• A rewarding career
• A competitive salary
• Excellent training, development and career progression
• 37 days annual leave
• Potential to work anywhere in the company's network
• Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
• Final salary pension scheme
Responsible to the Senior Technical Superintendent, the Assistant Technical Superintendent is expected to provide comprehensive technical management in support of the Small Craft Fleet which do not carry motormen. This role will cover support of the day to day operation and the annual overhauls for this class of vessel.
The role will focus on vessel availability, reliability and the provision of the timetabled service.
Maintaining close ties with the Service Delivery department in managing the day to day operations of the vessels in your area of responsibility and managing the annual overhauls including the development of dry dock specifications, completing the drydock and reporting on all associated projects.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
The Assistant Technical Superintendent is expected to be an integral part of the Asset Management Team and associated support staff whilst maintaining a cooperative relationship with the Asset Management Team, Technical Services Team and the Technical Services Manager (TSM). You will need to build and maintain an effective working relationship with the vessels staff, the TSM, the Shore Services Team, internal and external stakeholder's i.e. Class, MCA, BV and CMAL. You will be responsible for the day to day technical operations of the Company's Small Craft Fleet including the maintaining of operational budgets, following the processes and procedures as outlined in the Company Management System and managing the vessels annual overhauls including the development of dry dock specifications, completing the drydock and reporting on total spend.
Working within the Asset Management Department, your duties will include:
• Support the production of technical budgets for vessels and control of technical costs in line with the agreed budget
• Work closely with the vessels to verify that the routine and unplanned maintenance is recorded effectively, and any outstanding items are followed up
• Manage the vessel defect reporting system, responding to defects in a timely manner and assist the vessel to close out defects as required
• Share relevant information on technical issues with other affected vessels within the fleet with a view of identifying common issues, trends and adopting preventative maintenance action
• Work closely with the vessels to prevent break downs and minimise the effect to the vessel and the larger network
• Provide consistent liaison & open communication between shore-based Asset Management team and vessels on technical policies, budget control, technical issues and projects
• Working closely with Asset Management, other internal departments to promote and resolve technical related issues on the fleet including the production/support of management reports & meeting attendance
• Liaise with the HSQE department to effectively respond to the vessel's management meetings including on technical issues raised via Safety Committee Meeting Minutes
• Liaise with all departments to effectively respond to the vessels EOTR (End of Trip Report) with regards to any technical matters raise
• Assist as required during the course of any accident, incident, investigations and outputs from MAIB reports
• Work closely with CMAL, MCA and Classification Societies carrying out regular shipboard visits to relevant vessels
• Carry out annual technical inspections for relevant vessels
• In conjunction with the asset management team accomplish the planning and coordination function for vessel overhauls and emergency dockings
• Support the continual improvement process/betterment within the planning function of asset management
• Ensure that the annual overhaul specification is prepared, agreed, costed and that quotations are submitted in good time for approval by the Head of Asset Management and the Director of Asset Management
• Supervision and control of the annual overhaul and repairs to the vessels
• Ensuring all necessary documentation and equipment required for relevant vessels are maintained and comply with relevant legislation
• Ensuring the relevant vessels comply with the Company Operations Manuals, work instructions and fleet circulars
• Support the Service Delivery team with the recruitment, training & development, performance appraisals/management and promotion of onboard engineering staff
• To provide input as a subject matter expert on projects within the Asset Management Directorate as requested
• Any other duties required by the Head of Technical Services
• Class 4 or OOW motor certificate or equivalent and preferably experience of Ro-Ro ferries
• Previous maritime background
• Excellent analytical and systematic skills
• Proven project and budget management experience
• Strong leadership, managerial and organisational skills
• Able to demonstrate change management
• Excellent IT skills
• Good stakeholder management skills
• Excellent communicator, with ability to interface with management and offshore personnel
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.