Ref: 1443-SB Projects Technical Manager
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CalMac Ferries Limited
JOB TITLE: Projects Technical Manager
DEPARTMENT: Asset Management
REPORTS TO: Senior Project Manager
VACANCY REF: 1443-SB
CONTRACT: Fixed Term - 24 months
ANNUAL SALARY: Senior Manager - £48,284 to £69,206 depending on experience
CAR ALLOWANCE: £445
SHIFT PATTERN: 37.5 hours per week
DATE ADVERTISED: 09 September 2019
CLOSING DATE: 23 September 2019
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
• A rewarding career
• A competitive salary
• Excellent training, development and career progression
• 37 days annual leave
• Potential to work anywhere in the company's network.
• Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, this role will provide support, project management experience for project work related to vessel improvements, modifications, upgrades and specific in-house projects.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
• Working closely within the project team and delivering projects on time, within cost and excellent quality
• Working closely with technical manager's, superintendents, vessel crews and asset support to develop specifications and project plans in conjunction with the vessel improvement program
• Attending ships during installation and commissioning working with all connected stakeholders to achieve successful project delivery and closure
• Establishing, budget, cost control and supervision of suppliers and contractors to ensure all equipment installation and commissioning work is carried out with the objective of achieving a fully reliable and operational systems to the agreed specification
• Ensuring that correct process and governance are adhered to with budget control and management
• Ensuring that correct process and governance are adhered to with public procurement rules to ensure timely purchase and installation of required equipment
• Maintain strong relationships with all business departments but specifically working closely within their own department, CMAL, service delivery, finance, procurement and HSQE
• Act as liaison between the company, contractors, classification society, and flag state on related project works
• Manage the change to on board working practices
• Support production of monthly reports for CMAL and any required reports for Asset Management Director and the PMO
• Utilise communication and influencing skills to develop strong relationships with stakeholders
• Responsibility for project specifications, project planning, developing and meeting project budgets, Project Implementation, setting up Monitoring and Information systems which will be transferred to Business as usual on completion of the Project. Project Termination
• Prepare a detailed project plan and progress tracking in conjunction with the asset planner
• Preparation of detailed budgets and business cases
• Any other duties required by the senior project manager
• Hold an Unlimited Class 1 or 2 marine engineers' certificate, equivalent naval architecture qualification or an HND in Electrical qualification with extensive marine experience
• Be able to demonstrate a high level of competence in all aspects of project and commercial
• Be able to demonstrate experience of Scoping a Project, Project Management and Implementation
• Be able to demonstrate an ability to foster close working relationships with internal and external stakeholders involved in the project
• Be able to organise personal workloads in response to priorities
• Be able to demonstrate good PC system, administrative and communication skills
• Experience of working on small to medium scale projects and programmes in a similar role
• Knowledge of programme office processes and practices and the use of project tools and methodologies in conjunction with good understanding of project management methodology and full project life cycle
• Good Strong analytical & reporting skills
Personal Attributes and Traits
• Good initiative skills; ability to get started and work independently when necessary, and to come up with ideas and carry them out
• Be flexible and open to change, with a focus on continual improvement
• Adaptable, coping with change and unstructured environments at ease
• Have integrity and be passionate about what they do
• Have a strong work & environmental ethic and eagerness to develop solutions to problems.
• Be precise and thorough
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.