Ref 1476-SB ISMG Electrical Specialist
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
JOB TITLE: ISMG Electrical Specialist
REPORTS TO: Technical Services Manager
DEPARTMENT: Asset Management
VACANCY REF: 1476-SB
RATE OF PAY: Senior Manager Grade (£46,651-66,866)
LOCATION: Network based
HOURS PER WEEK: 37.5
DATE ADVERTISED: 25 November 2019
CLOSING DATE: 13 December 2019
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 01475 650144.
CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
• A rewarding career
• A competitive salary
• Excellent training, development and career progression
• 37 days annual leave (pro-rata)
• Potential to work anywhere in the company's network.
• Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
Applications are invited for the position of ISMG Electrical Specialist.
Reporting to the Technical Services Manager, the purpose of the role will be to support the 14 Major Vessel Roll on Roll off Passenger Ferries by inspecting and maintaining the vessels Electrical /Electronic equipment. You will be responsible for the management and performance of the In-Service Maintenance Electrical division within Asset Management Department.
This role is to provide comprehensive technical support and conduct network-based maintenance/inspections on all aspects of Electrical and Electronic Equipment. The equipment consists of;
• Propulsion Control Systems.
• Power Management Systems
• Power Generation and Distribution Systems
• Alarm and Monitoring Systems
• Fire Detection Systems
• Public Announcement Systems
• Communications Systems
• Navigation Equipment
• Uninterrupted Power Supply
This role is primarily network based however periodic attendance will be required at Docking and Head Office. Attendance at the vessel will consist of a minimum of one visit per year, at the Annual inspection. However, it is expected that additional attendance to the vessel may be required depending on tasks/support requiring assistance. These may be a combination of the following
- In Service Maintenance Period (ISMP)
- Annual docking period
- Vessel Improvement Projects
- Asset Management led Projects
- Vessel Breakdown suppor
The working schedule of the role will operate within the parameters of the hours of work regs and a 37.5 hour contracted working week. The working week will require a flexible approach determined by the scheduled tasks and Technical Services Manager requirements. The working patterns would be determined by the planned tasks by all or a or combination of the following,
• Vessel normal operation (conducted when vessel in operation i.e. 0830-1700)
• Twilight (commence when in operation continuing into off service period i.e. 1600-2300)
• Night (conducted when vessel is off service i.e. 2000-0600)
There is no requirement for on-call cover
There are no additional payments for unsociable hours.
There is a possibility of weekend work, any days of weekend work will be returned in lieu at a ratio of 1:1 in consultation with Technical Services Manager.
Network transportation and accommodation will be supplied by Calmac. Victualing will be as per Calmac expenses policy.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
• Deliver scheduled inspection and maintenance activites across the fleet
• Support reactive maintenance and repair activities at managements discretion and as priorities allow
• Support the Mechanical Specialist to meet their objectives
• HNC in relevant discipline
• Demonstrate that you have worked effectively in an environment which requires excellence in safety and operational reliability.
• Have excellent analytical and problem solving skills coupled with strong leadership.
• Demonstrate budget awareness and management.
• Previous people management experience
• Highly developed communication skills and ability to build relationships at all levels. Work cooperatively and supportively with colleagues, developing positive, open working relationships
• Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Packages, mobile technology and asset management systems
• Have integrity and be passionate about the role, demonstrating and working by our company values
• 10 years' experience within the marine electrical industry
• Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) trained highly desirable
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please ensure that you complete the on-line applications fully as you can as well as submitting an up-to-date CV. It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.