Ref 1484-SB ISMG Mechanical Engineer
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
JOB TITLE: ISMG Mechanical Engineer
REPORTS TO: ISMG Senior Mechanical Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Asset Management
VACANCY REF: 1484-SB
RATE OF PAY: Manager Grade 1 (£38,623-£54,720)
LOCATION: Network based
HOURS PER WEEK: 37.5
DATE ADVERTISED: 25 November 2019
CLOSING DATE: 13 December 2019
The recruitment Information pack is designed to provide you with as much information as possible, relevant to the role and the recruitment process.
CalMac Ferries Limited is an equal opportunities employer; as such our selection processes are designed to promote equality of opportunity for all.
If you have any further queries, please contact HR Services by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 01475 650144.
CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award-winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
For more information please visit our website at www.calmac.co.uk/corporate/about-us
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
• A rewarding career
• A competitive salary
• Excellent training, development and career progression
• 37 days annual leave (pro-rata)
• Potential to work anywhere in the company's network.
• Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
Applications are invited for the position of ISMG Mechanical Engineer. Reporting to the ISMG Senior Mechanical Engineer, the purpose of the role will be to support the 14 major Roll On Roll Off passenger ferries by inspecting and maintaining the vessels mechanical equipment.
This role is to provide comprehensive technical support and conduct network-based maintenance/inspections on all aspects of mechanical equipment. This role is primarily network based however periodic attendance will be required when the vessels are in annual dry dock and an element of work will be undertaken in Head Office and in company workshops. Attendance at the vessel will include a minimum of one visit per year during the In-Service Maintenance Attendance (ISMA) together with additional attendance(s) based on operational requirements.
The working schedule of the role will operate within the parameters of the hours of work regulations and a 37.5 hour contracted working week. The working week will require a flexible approach determined by the scheduled tasks and Senior Mechanical Engineer requirements.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
• Provide expert knowledge and hands on support for all aspects of marine diesels and mechanical equipment
• Liaise with Senior Mechanical Engineer in the creation of mechanical equipment annual plan
• Attend all major vessels as instructed by the Senior Mechanical Engineer to conduct In Service maintenance and inspections, and undertake, preventative maintenance and reactive repairs
• In conjunction with performing the annual inspection, assist Vessel Management team with spare part identification and spares requirements for In Service Maintenance Attendance (ISMA) and annual overhaul
• In conjunction with vessel Onboard Management Team and Senior Mechanical Engineer, centrally maintain and update records of attendance, reports, performance and repairs
• Perform condition monitoring and review condition monitoring reports, assessing issues and identifying and creating solutions to address potential risks to equipment
• When required, attend annual dockings during the dry dock period to provide expert knowledge and support to Technical Managers
• Conduct overhaul of marine diesel components and mechanical equipment
• Provide expertise, knowledge, input and support to Asset Management led projects
• Provide vocational hands on Training to Vessel Crew on Operation and Maintenance of equipment
• Ensure company vehicle is kept clean and in working order. Any damages to be reported to Technical Services Manager
• Provide Senior Mechanical Engineer with records of attendance and evidence of In-Service Maintenance activities undertaken
• Extensive network travel and remote working will be an important aspect of the role. Ability to regularly travel throughout the network is essential
• Undertake duties as required by Technical Services Manager
• Proven experience within the marine industry is essential; you must be capable of exercising sound judgement in both proactive and reactive vessel operation
• HNC and/or professional qualifications in Marine Mechanical systems
• Proven experience in overhauling Marine Diesel Engines
• Be able to demonstrate experience of maintaining and fault finding in Marine Mechanical Equipment
• Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Packages, and mobile technology
• Be willing to undertake all reasonable training and learning and development activity designed to support your role
• Health assessment will be a component of the role
• Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) trained
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please ensure that you complete the on-line applications fully as you can as well as submitting an up-to-date CV. It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.