Guide to Passenger Rights
Here is your guide to Maritime Passenger Rights - find out what you may be entitled to in the event of a disruption or cancellation to your sailing.
Click to view and download the Maritime Passenger Rights leaflet [130kb]
As part of our commitment to customer care, we are pleased to advise the following:
When our service is disrupted we will tell you as soon as we can and no later than 30 minutes after the ship should have sailed. We will advise of the expected departure time as soon as we know. Please note this may not be possible at unmanned ports.
Where possible, we will provide information to assist you in making other travel arrangements if you miss a connecting service. If we expect your sailing to be cancelled, or delayed departing by more than 90 minutes, you can choose:
where practicable, to travel on the next available sailing on the same or an alternative Caledonian MacBrayne route for the same ticket price,
to cancel your journey and to receive a refund of the cost of the relevant ticket price. Where relevant, we will provide a complimentary journey on the first available sailing, back to the first point of departure on that part of your journey. The refund will be paid within 7 days of the disrupted journey.
Snacks, meals or refreshments
If your sailing is cancelled or delayed by more than 90 minutes we will provide, where available*, snacks, meals or refreshments as follows:
|Waiting time||Snacks, meals or refreshments|
|More than 90 minutes and every 90 minutes thereafter||A light refreshment such as a bottle of water or a hot drink (up to the value of £2)|
|4 hours or more||The equivalent of a snack or light meal such as a sandwich or a bowl of soup (up to the value of £5)|
|8 hours or more||The equivalent of a hot evening meal (up to the value of £10)|
|Every 4 hours thereafter||As above; a snack or a meal|
Overnight Accommodation (please read note 1 & 2)
If your sailing is cancelled or delayed, for reasons other than weather, and, as a result, you need overnight accommodation we will reimburse the cost. You will need to arrange and pay for your own accommodation.†
We will arrange transport between the port terminal and the accommodation if we can.
The total cost of accommodation is limited to 80 Euros (or Sterling equivalent) per person per night for a maximum of 3 nights.
Accommodation used after the service has resumed will not be reimbursed.
Coach/tour operators should make their own arrangements for their clients and then contact the Customer Care Department at Gourock to request reimbursement.
Compensation for a cancellation or delay caused by a technical fault or certain operational reasons (please read notes 3 & 4)
Compensation‡ relates to the actual amount paid for the journey that has been disrupted. For example, if a return ticket was purchased and the return leg of the journey is disrupted then compensation would be a percentage of half of the original ticket price. If you travel on an alternative route, which has a lower fare, compensation would be a percentage of the amount paid following the appropriate refund for the difference in fare.
In the case of a scheduled ferry journey of up to 4 hours:
• 25% of the ticket price will be refunded for a delayed arrival of at least 1 hour
• 50% of the ticket price will be refunded for a delayed arrival of over 2 hours.
In the case of a scheduled ferry journey of 4 - 8 hours:
• 25% of the ticket price will be refunded for a delayed arrival of at least 2 hours
• 50% of the ticket price will be refunded for a delayed arrival of over 4 hours.
If you have a season ticket and, due to technical problems, experience recurrent delays in arrival during the period the ticket is valid, you can request compensation from us. (please read note 5)
1. We regret that we cannot reimburse accommodation costs when disruption is caused by weather. In certain limited circumstances, when a service is disrupted due to a technical fault, it may be possible for customers to remain on board the vessel overnight.
2. We regret that we cannot reimburse accommodation costs if a passenger is travelling with a motorhome, caravan or other vehicle with sleepover facilities. In these circumstances we will reimburse the cost of the site fee for a maximum of 3 nights.
3. Compensation is available if you have a confirmed booking/have a passenger ticket for a route for which vehicle bookings can be made and your sailing is cancelled or delayed due to a technical fault or operational reasons resulting in a delayed arrival at the destination printed on your ticket.
4. Compensation is not available if you are travelling in a vehicle for which a commercial vehicle ticket has been issued.
5. Compensation would apply if technical reliability falls below an average of 90% over the validity period of your ticket.
* Where there are no facilities available at the port you will be asked to buy your own snacks, meals or refreshments. Company employees cannot reimburse you in cash for these costs. We will reimburse your costs as detailed within this leaflet when original receipts, your ticket purchase receipt confirming intention to travel and a valid completed claim form are sent to the Customer Care Department at Gourock.
† Company employees cannot reimburse you in cash for accommodation costs. We will reimburse these costs as detailed within this leaflet when original receipts, your ticket purchase receipt confirming intention to travel and a valid completed claim form are sent to the Customer Care Department at Gourock.
‡ We will pay any compensation due within 1 month of receiving your ticket purchase receipt confirming travel and correctly completed valid claim form.
If you wish to make a claim download our EU Passenger Rights claim form below and return to the Customer Care address.
Claim forms will be available from port staff at manned ports on the day of disruption or online. For sailings departing from unmanned ports claim forms can be requested by:
Customer Care Department
Calling: 0800 066 5000 or +44 1475 650397 (for international customers)
Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Transport Scotland is the final stage for claims in relation to EU Regulation 1177/2010 concerning the rights of passengers travelling by sea and inland waterway. If you remain dissatisfied with Caledonian MacBrayne's response to your claim you can ask Transport Scotland to look at your claim. Should you wish to contact Transport Scotland their details are listed below:
Area 2F Dockside
Tel: 0141 272 7100
This information relates to Regulation (EU) No 1177/2010 of the European Parliament concerning the rights of passengers when travelling by sea and inland waterway. This can be viewed on the European Commission Transport website .
Download more information on Passenger Rights EU Regulation 1177/2010 [37kb]