The grandest medieval building of the Outer Hebrides
Also known as Tur Chliamainn, or the Church of Rodel - it was built around 1520. It has extensive links to the Clan MacLeod, and was built as the clan's burial place. In fact, it is here the tomb of its founder lies - Alasdair 'Crotach' MacLeod of Dunvegan and Harris, 8th chief of Clan MacLeod. He was also known as Alasdair Crotach, or 'humpback' as a result of a sword wound he had received while fighting the MacDonalds on Skye.
For more details on Harris visit our destination page.