Ref: 1394-SB Technical Manager
EMPLOYING COMPANY: CalMac Ferries Limited
JOB TITLE: Technical Manager
DEPARTMENT: Technical Services
REPORTS TO: Senior Technical Manager
VACANCY REF: 1394-SB
ANNUAL SALARY: Circa £61,000 to £67,000 dependant on experience (Executive Grade)
CONTRACTED HOURS: 37.5 hours per week
DATE ADVERTISED: 06 June 2019
CLOSING DATE: 20 June 2019
CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
CalMac Ferries Limited is the UK's largest ferry operator in terms of ships and destinations served and one of the largest transport operators in Scotland. It is a multi-award winning ferry and port operation and ship management specialist providing essential lifeline services and logistical support to island and remote communities.
BENEFITS OF A CAREER WITH CALMAC FERRIES LIMITED
• A Rewarding career
• A competitive salary including a car allowance
• 37 days annual leave
• Excellent training, development and career progression
• Staff travel pass for yourself, spouse/partner and dependents
• Final salary pension scheme
You will report to the Senior Technical Manager and will provide professional support to CalMac Ferries Limited on all technical matters.
In the role you will work closely with both shore-based and vessel based management teams, as well as with external ferry regulators, in particular the MCA and Lloyds register.
The role will also focus on the service delivery side of the business in conjunction with the Service Delivery department dealing with the day to day running of the vessels in your area of responsibility.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY TASKS
• Work closely with the vessels to verify that the routine and unplanned maintenance is recorded effectively and any outstanding items are followed up
• Manage the vessel defect reporting system, responding to defects in a timely manner, and assist the vessel to close out defects as required
• Share relevant information on technical issues with other affected vessels within the fleet with a view of identifying common issues, trends, and adopting preventative maintenance action
• Work closely with the vessels to prevent break downs and minimise the effect to the vessel and the larger network
• Provide consistent liaison and open communication between shore based Asset Management team and vessels on technical policies, budget control, technical issues, and projects
• Support the production of technical budgets for vessels and assist with controlling technical costs in line with the agreed running repairs budget
• Working closely with Asset Management and other internal departments to promote and resolve technical related issues on the fleet including the production/support of management reports and meeting attendance
• Liaise with the HSQE department to effectively respond to the vessels management meetings including technical issues raised via Safety Committee Meeting Minutes
• Liaise with all departments to effectively respond to the vessels EOTR (End of Trip Report) with regards to any technical matters raised
• Liaise with all departments to effectively respond to the vessels OMM (On board Management Meeting) with regards to technical matters raised
• Assist as required during the course of any accident, incident, investigations and outputs from
• MAIB reports
• Work closely with CMAL, MCA and Classification Societies carrying out regular shipboard visits to relevant vessels
• Carry out annual technical inspections for relevant vessels
• Support the production of overhaul specifications, planning & preparation and attendance at overhauls or emergency dockings as requested
• Ensuring all necessary documentation and equipment required for relevant vessels are maintained and comply with relevant legislation.
• Ensuring the relevant vessels comply with the Company Operations Manuals, work instructions and fleet circulars
• Support the Service Delivery team with the recruitment, training and development, performance appraisals/management, and promotion of on-board engineering staff
• To provide input as a subject matter expert on projects within the Asset Management Directorate as requested
• Hold an Unlimited STCW III/2 Chief Engineer Certificate or equivalent with Marine Experience
• Be able to demonstrate a high level of competence in all aspects of technical management
• Have experience of working as a Technical Manager in a similar post (preferably with Passenger and Vehicle Ferries) demonstrating experience of prioritisation, decision-making and producing results in a high pressure environment
• Be able to demonstrate an ability to foster close working relationships both internally and with external ferry regulators
• Have worked effectively in an environment which requires excellence in safety, operations and customer service
• Able to demonstrate strong budget management experience with the ability to employ cost control techniques
• Highly developed communication skills and ability to build relationships at all levels
• Ro-Ro ferry experience
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND ATTRIBUTES
• Have integrity and be passionate about what they do, demonstrating and working by the company values
• Have a strong work and environmental ethic and eagerness to develop solutions to problems
• Precise and thorough in their approach and promote continuous improvement across the team and functional areas
• Be able to demonstrate strong leadership skills in relation to managing, developing and motivating small high performing teams
• Very organised in response to priorities
• Work cooperatively and supportively with colleagues, developing positive, open working relationships
OUR NINE KEY COMPETENCIES ARE:
To ensure that we will lead and motivate others to enable them to contribute to the best of their ability.
DECISION MAKING AND JUDGEMENT
To ensure that we weigh the pros and cons of each decision point and take the decision which best meets the objective in hand.
To ensure that we work together to deliver the best we can achieve and our business goals.
To enable everyone to do their job and ensure that our staff are ready for the next step if the opportunity arises.
To ensure that we work in an effective and efficient manner. To ensure that we have the ability to adapt and change plans as the requirements of the situation change.
DRIVE FOR RESULTS
To ensure that we have the energy into achieving results and to take action to exceed goals and expectations.
To ensure the safety of ourselves, our teams, our customers and our visitors.
To ensure that we anticipate, meet and exceed the needs and expectations of our customers; both internal and external.
To encourage all staff to think of new or innovative ways of working to help the organisation continually improve.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please ensure that you complete the on-line applications fully as you can as well as submitting an up-to-date CV. It is important that you demonstrate how you meet the essential and desirable criteria outlined within the Job Description.
We will evaluate your suitability for the role by assessing your qualifications, skills and experience.
To ensure you are in the best position to perform to your highest standards during our selection process, make sure you review the competencies outlined in the Job Description and have prepared examples of times you have successfully demonstrated these behaviours in the past.
Should you be successful, your offer will be subject to the successful completion of a 6 month probationary period and the provision of two satisfactory references.